PROTECTION OF CHILDREN AND VULNERABLE ADULTS POLICY
At Tantine Group Ltd, we believe that the welfare of the child and vulnerable adult is paramount. The purpose of this protection policy is to:
- Safeguarding the children and most vulnerable adults like refugees and prevent abuse of their fundamental human rights, exploitation and neglect.
- Set out common values and principles our employees and volunteers must uphold to protect children and vulnerable people in our daily activities.
- Set out the accurate and understandable procedures that must be followed in case of children and vulnerable rights abuse.
2. SOME DEFINITIONS
In this policy, Tantine Group Ltd defines:
- A child as a person who is under 18 years of age, as recognized in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (1989).
- An adult as a person aged 18 years and above.
- Vulnerable people is someone who may be unable to take care of or unable to protect him or herself against significant harm or exploitation because of any reason like mental health or other disability, age or illness and rely on community assistance.
3. RESPONSIBILITIES OF EMPLOYEES AND VOLUNTEERS
- It is the responsibility of any of our employee or volunteer to respect children and vulnerable fundamental rights and favor them whenever possible.
- It is our responsibility to safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults by upholding principles of transparency and accountability on such matters.
- All Tantine Group Ltd employees and volunteers, including the new ones, are expected to follow the guidelines and procedures of this protection policy, including the reading and signing of this policy.
4. RESPONSIBILITIES OF TANTINE GROUP LTD
Tantine Group Ltd should ensure that children and vulnerable adults are treated with dignity as humans with rights by avoiding the following:
- Taking pictures, Videos or statements from children and vulnerable adults without informed consent of care-takers
- Incorrect representation of children and vulnerable adults through words and images
- Communication that shames, degrades or victimizes.
5. CODE OF BEHAVIOR
Tantine Group Ltd guiding principles in line of protection of children and vulnerable adults are the following:
- Treat all children and vulnerable adults equally despite any discriminating factor like race, gender, age, thoughts, etc.
- Give time to the child or vulnerable adult to say what they want to say. We strongly believe that thoughts and words are important and they deserve respect.
- Be friendly and entertaining atmosphere to the children and vulnerable people.
- Respect right to privacy of children and vulnerable adults
- As children and vulnerable adults are unable to make their own decisions, protect their best interests, welfare and their assets.
- Use the appropriate language in working with children and vulnerable adults
We strongly advise our employees and volunteers to:
- Never physically or verbally abuse child or vulnerable adult on our field operation sites.
- Never use alcohol, tobacco or drugs in front of children or vulnerable adults.
- Never arrange external meetings or contact children or vulnerable adults outside the Organization activities.
- Never take photographs, videos or statement of children or vulnerable adults unless you have prior consent from parents or other care-takers.
- Never have personal/ private conversations with children or vulnerable adults.
6. BREACHES OF THE CODE OF BEHAVIOR BY STAFF AND VOLUNTEERS
In case any of our staff member breaches the codes, his/her case will be dealt with under the disciplinary procedure and could result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.
If any of our volunteer breaches the codes of behavior, his/her case will be dealt with under the disciplinary guidelines guiding our Volunteers and could result in disciplinary action up to and including a termination of the volunteering relationship.
7. IDENTIFYING AND REPORTING SUSPECTED ABUSE
We identify different types of children and vulnerable adults abuse including, but not limited to physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse as well as negligence. If any of our staff or volunteer suspect child or vulnerable adult abuse, he or she should report concerns immediately by filling up the Incident Reporting Form (CLICK HERE).
The abuse related Reports should be made within 24 hours and must be treated in strict confidence in the interest of all parties involved and in line with Tantine Group Ltd Whistle Blowing Policy. The report must be submitted to Program Manager who will handle it to the Executive Assembly within no later than three days of incidence.
8. WHO SHOULD REPORT THE ABUSE INCIDENCE
Any case of children or vulnerable adult abuse could be reported by either victims, perpetrators or parents or care-taker of the abused child or vulnerable adult.
9. INVESTIGATION PROCEDURES
Up on receiving an allegation made against one of Tantine Group Ltd staff member or volunteer to have abused child or vulnerable adult, the Program Manager will handle the report to the Executive Board meeting in no later than three days of time. It is the responsibility of the Board to convene a team to obtain further information, assess the concern, decide next steps and inform the Board the outcomes of investigation done.
10. DISCIPLINARY ACTION
The Executive Board reserves all powers to take final decision on child or vulnerable adult abuse reported. Following the completion of the investigation, Executive Board will decide on appropriate action to take based on available evidence. Reports that are made maliciously could be considered an act of gross misconduct. Disciplinary action, which may result in dismissal, will be taken against any employee making such an allegation.